An AI Strategy for the Climate Crisis
Taking Responsibility for Technology Value Chains and Using Artificial Intelligence to Help Restore Nature
I had a think about the different artificial intelligence (AI) strategies that circulate from a variety of nations. I think it would be worthwhile to consider the possibility of creating an AI strategy that was specific regarding what actions that could be taken and adamant about transparency in the value chain of technology. In addition when it comes to algorithmic audits that may increasingly be an activity that can take place — carbon emissions can be a factor.
For 274 days I have been writing one new article on the topic of artificial intelligence every day. I am aiming for 500 days, however I thought it would be about time that I made a more consistent effort to focus on one area within AI: namely the climate crisis in relation to AI. As such perhaps making it a dedication to work with AI strategy related to this area for the next 25 days (seeing as this is day 275) bringing it up to 300 days of writing about artificial intelligence.
If I spend a focused amount of time on understanding:
- The possible adverse situations that make AI emit carbon.
- What is the trade-off and is there anyone calculating this?
- Is there any type of certification system that exists, and if not what could it look like?
- Is there any form of easy heuristics a developer can think about when they purchase cloud or machine learning solutions?
- What type of different cases are there out there relating to artificial intelligence and where can they be found?
- Is it possible to have a nordic-baltic approach to artificial intelligence, and what type of AI companies or communities could lead the way in this regard?
These are some questions that immediately appear when I consider this topic. If I can manage to keep my focus for 20 days I could spend 5 days compiling this information and making it more readily available for people to interact with whether that would be in a podcast form, video or otherwise.
I think this could be helpful both in terms of mapping methods, companies and initiatives that work in innovative ways to explore artificial intelligence in its more responsible applications.
This is #500daysofAI and you are reading article 275. I am writing one new article about or related to artificial intelligence every day for 500 days. My current focus for 100 days 200–300 is national and international strategies for artificial intelligence. I have decided to spend the last 25 days of my AI strategy writing to focus on the climate crisis.